Tuesday 2 March 2010

One Bird Records Exhibition

A few weeks back I was asked by a friend who was launching a record label to be part of an exhibition that was being held for the launch party.

The brief was simple but exciting... The artists were to create a rendition of their favourite Album Art. The concept was to promote artwork as being an intrinsic part of the music listening experience. (Which I fully agree with.)

'Melon Collie And The Infinite Sadness' - Revisioned By PatrickJPC

I chose the artwork to "Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" by the Smashing Pumpkins.

This album came out at a pivotal point in my musical development, and I have always greatly admired the bravery of the design. To me, that record SOUNDS like the artwork... All of the videos/photos of the band etc around the time tied-in to this design style. It was perfect.

Obviously, I redid the artwork in my own style. (The original was like a renaissance painting that had been fired through a black hole.) Mine is much more of a graphic/comic revision. I really tried to push the boat out with the colours and I'm please with the results, as I toyed with the idea of it being Black and White!

Feel free to comment on your views of the piece.

No comments: